Botanical Name: Hyssopus Officinalis
Plant Part Used: leaves and flowering tops
Country Of Origin: Europe and france
Method Of Extraction: steam distillation
Aroma: sweet herberous with warm spicy undertones
Color: colorless to pale yellow-green
Essential oils are volatile and can cause harm if not used correctly. Follow these simple guidelines when using any essential oils.
Hyssop aka the Holy Herb
Hyssop essential oils are extracted from the leaves and flowering tops. Using steam distillation B aroma has a sweet herby scent with a warm and spicy undertone. It’s colorless to pale yellow-green.
Contraindications or cautions that come along with this essential oil is that it can be toxic if too much of it is in your system. So you want to use it in moderation. You also want to avoid using it during pregnancy, or if you have epilepsy.
Some of the emotional benefits is that it encourages an awakening, acceptance and a clarity which can bring balance and harmony to you emotionally and mentally. Spiritually, it’s very purifying, cleansing and it enables clarity of spirit.
Now, Hyssop has been referenced in the Bible 12 times. Most notably as the branch that held the sponge of sour wine offered to Jesus while he was on the cross.
As a general rule, follow these guidelines when using this or any essential oil.
- Never use this essential oil undiluted on the skin to avoid skin irritations.
- Never apply to eyes or mucus membranes.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not take essential oils internally unless directed by a qualified practitioner.
- palms of hands
- lower back
- pulse points
- Exodus 12:22
- Take a bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and touch the lintel and the two doorposts with the blood in the basin. None of you shall go outside the door of your house until morning.
- Leviticus 14:4
- the priest shall command that two living clean birds and cedarwood and crimson yarn and hyssop be brought for the one who is to be cleansed.
- Leviticus 14:6
- He shall take the living bird with the cedarwood and the crimson yarn and the hyssop, and dip them and the living bird in the blood of the bird that was slaughtered over the fresh water.
- Leviticus 14:49-53
- For the cleansing of the house he shall take two birds, with cedarwood and crimson yarn and hyssop, and shall slaughter one of the birds over fresh water in an earthen vessel, and shall take the cedarwood and the hyssop and the crimson yarn, along with the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slaughtered bird and the fresh water, and sprinkle the house seven
- times. Thus he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the fresh water, and with the living bird, and with the cedarwood and hyssop and crimson yarn; and he shall let the living bird go out of the city into the open field; so he shall make atonement for the house, and it shall be clean.
- Number 19:6
- The priest shall take cedarwood, hyssop, and crimson material, and throw them into the fire in which the heifer is burning.
- Numbers 19:18
- then a clean person shall take hyssop, dip it in the water, and sprinkle it on the tent, on all the furnishings, on the persons who were there, and on whoever touched the bone, the slain, the corpse, or the grave.
- 1 Kings 4:33
- He would speak of trees, from the cedar that is in the Lebanon to the hyssop that grows in the wall; he would speak of animals, and birds, and reptiles, and fish.
- Psalm 51:7
- Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
- John 19:29
- A jar full of sour wine was standing there. So they put a sponge full of the wine on a branch of hyssop and held it to his mouth.
- Hebrews 9:19-20
- For when every commandment had been told to all the people by Moses in accordance with the law, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water and scarlet wool and hyssop, and sprinkled both the scroll itself and all the people, saying, “This is the blood of the covenant that God has ordained for you.”
- Encourage awakening
essential oil has a variety of benefits that can assist with a holistic lifestyle. The following are only a few notable benefits:
- Tonic (heart & circulation)
Blends well with
- Bay leaf
- Clary Sage
- Orange (and other citrus essential oils)
Ways to use
Hyssop can be used as another aromatic assistant when cleansing and clearing your home. It’s also useful when praying or meditating.
The information shared here has not been evaluated by the FDA and should not be used as to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical conditions or illnesses.